When you know someone, who is either retiring soon or newly retired, you may want to send happy retirement messages and wishes. Maybe it’s your boss or coworker. It could be one of your parents or grandparents. Retirement is a major life change that is worth celebrating. After decades of contributing to the work and business environment, they are going to put that behind them and pursue an entirely different way of life. They deserve all the rest, enjoyment, travel, and new goals and adventures that come with retirement. You can give them some support as they transition with some good wishes.
In this article, we are going to provide some of the best ideas for wishing someone a happy retirement:
* Retirement gift ideas
Happy Retirement Messages and Wishes
When someone starts their plans to retire, it is an exciting period. They have put in their time in the workforce and undoubtedly impacted many lives along the way. No matter what positions they held throughout their career, they interacted with different people and played a part in various teams. All they have done and contributed deserves to be acknowledged and appreciated. It’s a time for them to look back, reflect, and be grateful for how far they have come.
Transitioning from working life to retirement can be quite a process. For someone who has been used to a hectic schedule with many duties and responsibilities, it can be an intimidating shift. They have to find new activities to fill their schedules and new pursuits to occupy their mind.
To appreciate and honor someone entering into retirement, there are many things you can do. Happy retirement messages and wishes are a great option, and these can be delivered in a card or through an email or phone message. Other ideas include retirement gifts and retirement parties. All of these ideas are things you can plan and execute on your own or with others. If someone in your office is retiring, you can volunteer to help organize an office party or pull funds together for a going away gift. You can also have everyone sign a card. If your parent is retiring, you could organize something together with your siblings or other relatives.
When it comes to what wishes to give or what to write in a card, there are many standard wishes and kind words you can say. Here are a few options you can use:
* Happy retirement wishes! All the best in your new life adventures.
* Enjoy the fruit of all your hard work! Wishing you a wonderful retirement!
* Thanks for the amazing example you have been to me and the entire team. Your dedication has been an inspiration. Happy retirement!
* Have a happy and relaxing retirement! I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more.
Some great elements to consider including in your retirement message or letter are appreciation, gratitude, and good wishes for the future. If you directly interacted with the person during their working life, you can also include some specific examples of the impact and example that they were to you. Humor is also great to include, and you might even make them laugh and cry with fond memories. The person receiving your wishes is going to appreciate that you took some time to acknowledge their hard work over the years and wish them all the best.
Inspirational Retirement Quotes
If you are writing a letter or a longer message to the person retiring, you could even consider including an apt quote. Here are a few ideas of some quotes that are appropriate during this time:
* Retirement is not the end of the road; it is the beginning of an open highway. (Unknown)
* What do you call a person who is happy on Monday? Retired.
* You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. (C.S. Lewis)
* I’m not just retiring from the company. I’m retiring from my stress, my alarm clock, my commute, and my iron. (Hartman Jule)
Retirement Gift Ideas
Another way to both support and treat someone who is retiring is by giving them a retirement gift. There are many things you can do for them. We have already talked about giving a card and throwing them a party.
Here are some other great retirement gift ideas around different themes:
* Memory gifts- During the person’s working life, there are likely to have made many, many cherished memories along the way. Whether you have worked with them or just know them personally, you know about some of their precious memories and career highlights. A memory gift can be anything from a framed photo, a photo album, an award that they once received, or memorabilia from a work trip they once went to. These types of gifts are a great way to remind them of happy times. Your gift is likely to be held onto for many years to come.
* New and existing hobbies- When someone retires from work, they usually have a lot freer time available. If they were working a 9-to-5 job before, they are probably going to be thinking about new pursuits, hobbies, and goals to take up. If you know that your mother, for example, has always had a love for crafts, but she never had the time, you could give her a related gift. Giving someone the tools, guides, and equipment, they need to pursue new and existing hobbies is a great idea. You give them something to look forward to and new interests and skills to develop.
* General gifts- There are also many general gifts you can give someone retiring. How about a beautiful flower arrangement? FloraQueen delivers flowers all over the world. You can pair these with a chocolate basket, a bottle of wine, and even include a card in your online order. Other general gift ideas include gift baskets, spa hampers, and event tickets.
Giving someone happy retirement messages and wishes is a great way to show support as they make this big move. You can accompany these with a card or a gift.